Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Nothing like a KoRn Concert \m/

Monday night reminded me why I love going to concerts. And not the kind of concerts where you get to sit in a seat and a relax. I'm talking about the kind of concert where you fight to keep your spot on the floor in middle of a huge swelling crowd of fans while you're headbanging to the heavy riffs and breakdowns and throwing your hands up in the air, fingers forming the horns universally known as the symbol for rock music. You're half singing half screaming the lyrics to songs that you've listened to almost obsessively because in some way you can relate to those words. And as you're singing/screaming the singer makes his way to the side of the stage you're standing at and you hope that maybe out of all the other faces in the crowd he sees yours. He sees the passion on your face as you rock out to the song he helped create. That's your moment. And that's why I love those types of the concerts. Even in a large space filled with hundreds of people you can feel the intimacy of the concert because you can see the band (if you're lucky enough to be somewhere near the front) and you believe that they can see you. 
Two nights ago I went to my first concert since August to see KoRn play with Mutiny Within and 2 Cents at the Roseland Ballroom in NYC. All the bands were incredible but KoRn blew me away!The crowd went wild for KoRn. I've listened to them for so many years, since high school, but this was the first time I saw them in concert. And I can't wait to see them again. The energy they gave off was amazing. Seeing Fieldy slap  his bass while in a trance-like state almost gave me chills. I've never seen it played like that live. It was awesome. And then having Munky come over to the side of stage I was standing at to throw guitar picks was one of those moments where you feel some sort of connection with the band. You shout and jump up and down hoping that he notices you. (Too bad I didn't catch any guitar picks, though) And then there's Jonathan Davis. The guy can get away with wearing kilts and Adidas sweat suits and make them look cool. And he's so consistent. His image hasn't changed since the band began.There is nothing like seeing him perform in person holding onto KoRn's iconic microphone stand while headbanging to the heavy bass and drum beats with his long dreads swinging back and forth. He emitted so much great energy while performing that you couldn't help but feel energized yourself not matter how tired or beaten up you felt. And that is the best thing about seeing one of your favorite bands perform live. Nothing can top the energy you feel at the show. It's contagious. I go for that energy. I don't go to concerts to jump into the mosh pits or start fighting with the person next to me (although sometimes I can't deny feeling that aggression) The music is all the energy I need. And maybe I'm showing my age but I just don't understand how some people can enjoy the performances while pushing and fighting with each other. I don't need any of that childish crap. Hard rock and metal runs through my veins. That's all I need to feel alive

No comments: