Wednesday, March 31, 2010

The only thing that makes me truly happy

Today at work I was browsing through wallpapers to customize the new computer in the office. My coworker suggested that I put a picture of my dog, PeeWee, up. Her reasoning was that I should have a picture that makes me happy whenever I look at it. I thought that was great idea. I already have a picture of PeeWee as my background on my laptop and my cell phone so it only made sense to have him on my work computer. That also made me realize something that I've always known but never really thought about it. PeeWee is the only thing that makes me truly happy. Even though he's gotten into the garbage can too many times and still hasn't realized that he's not allowed to sit on our new recliner, I can't help but smile when he's around. Even when I have to run after him when it's time to brush his unruly hair and struggle with him to clean his ears and eyes, I still can't think of anything negative towards him. Even though walking him, especially in the cold rain, is a drag sometimes, I still wouldn't trade him for anything the world. Simply looking at him melts away frustration and stress. Now I'm not a crazy dog owner. Studies have shown that people with pets are happier and healthier than their non-pet counterparts. One study even showed that most people would rather be with their pets on Valentine's Day than with their spouses. Now I don't think I would go that far but I do understand the reasoning. Dogs are so incredibly loyal. They are always happy to see you when you come home. There's no better feeling for me than coming home and seeing PeeWee wag his tail with excitement and  jump around not knowing what to do with himself because he's so happy that I'm home. Has anyone in your life ever greeted you that way? I don't think so. I'm lucky to get a smile out of my boyfriend when he sees me. PeeWee won't ever give me an attitude because he's had a bad day. His heart would never turn cold towards me. He would never say or do anything to hurt to me. PeeWee won't wake up one morning and decide he's changed and tell me to either deal with it or go find someone else. His love and loyalty is limitless. A dog really is a person's best friend because he will never let you down. You never have question a dog's love like you a person. I don't have any negative thoughts or feelings associated with PeeWEe despite the terror he was as a puppy. But it's different with people. You can't always forget the bad things about them even if you try really hard. I don't think a person (maybe unless it's your child) can ever give you the same happiness that a dog can. A relationship with a person can cause unnecessary pain and stress. Having a dog can only bring you positive benefits. 
I hear my PeeWee's feet pattering around upstairs. It's time for me to relax and be happy so I think I'll go upstairs and show PeeWee the same love he's shown me for almost 7 years. 

No comments: